Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fatherless Daughter..... Who Can I Trust?

I grew up without my father in the home. I grew up very angry and even jealous at times of those friends who had a dad. I never understood what would make a man hate his own child. No one had ever told me that he hated me but it must have been hatred that caused him to leave me with nothing but empty promises. Hatred must have made him tell me he would come get me only to leave me sitting on my grandma's stoup for hours waiting for him. Hatred must have made him tell my brother and sister I wasn't his child. Hatred must have kept him from even attempting to look for me when my mom and I moved away.  It must have been hatred because nothing else explains his actions, I remember when I was about 8 or 9, I was watching the Maury show and there were some wild teenage girls that blamed their promiscuity on the absent father. Even at that young age, I laughed to myself in total disagreement thinking that there was no possible correlation between an absent father and a promiscious teenager.
                                            That was until I stared emptiness in the face.
I got pregnant at 14. I didnt have sex because of my own desires. I didnt have sex because of peer pressure. I did it because there was actually someone who liked me, a guy that spent his allowance money on me, a guy that said nice things about me and told all his friends I was his girl.  The validation I was looking for subconsiously was being given to me from someone of the opposite sex and I liked it. The only problem was there were other girls interested in "my guy" too. I mean, were there any other recourses for me besides giving of my body? I wasn't aware I was worthy of having someone interested in me. Heck, my own father wasn't interested in me so I had to bring more to keep him interested... so I thought.  I'll be the first to tell you, a baby doesnt keep a guy around. You would think I would know that from my own experience with my dad but I guess experience isn't always the best teacher. In searching for something to fill the 2 voids, I now felt... 1 from my dad and 2nd from my son's dad, I went on a quest looking for love. It landed me with many failed relationships and even more brokenness than before. In every relationship I was cheated on and used. In my last relationship, I was even physically abused. Each relationship took more and more of me with it. It was clear to me that men just can't be trusted. They lied with a straight face and made it up  with smooth words. When they said, "I love you" they might as well have said "I'm leaving you" because that is what was happening.
Fast forward to 2006, just two days before my fiance' was murdered, I gave my life to Jesus Christ. I had had just about all I could take and I was convinced there had to be something greater than the emptiness I had. I didnt know a lot about the Lord but I knew from Sunday School that "Jesus loves me, this is know... For the bible tells me so" At this point, what I needed was love but a different kind of love. A love that doesn't hurt. A love that doesn't take away. I was looking for love and I had hoped I would find it in God. What a life changing decision! I was saved! I was now a daughter of a king who, according to the Word has many blessings to bestow upon me. He has made many promises to me. He says He loves me......... me! Who would have thought that with my past, God will still love me?
2012- I am still living for Jesus. I am going higher in God but there is something that keeps pulling me back. The lack of faith and trust. I had recently gone through an emotional trial that seemed to have incapacitated me mentally. There have been some petitions I've made to the Lord and it seems as things were going in the opposite direction. It seems as though the very thing I pray about is the one thing I lose. I asked God to bless my finances, yet I was living paycheck to paycheck. I asked God to bless me with a spouse yet I'm still single. I asked God to bless me with a home of my own and  yet I'm still at home. However, it seems as those around me are excelling in every area of their lives. Have I found myself in another situation where I'm again not good enough? The Lord loves me, yes I know but why does it seem as though He has forgotten me? Has the word LOVE been taken out of context? I couldn't pray. I had a "I'm over it attitude" but the funny thing is, I didnt know exactly what that meant.
One day the Lord spoke to me and said, "You treat me like a man but I am not a man" What God? What is that supposed to mean? He reminded me of times when I have prayed for certain things but because He "took too long" I did things on my own normally only to make a mess of things. He reminded me how when He spoke promises to me and then the test would come, I wouldn't stand on His Word but why? Could it be because never once has any man's word become their bond? Could it be that because when I have asked men to do things in the past, they failed me leaving me to pick up the pieces on my own? Is this why I only trusted God as far as I could see Him (isn't that ironic)
Is the brokenness I feel from my natural father affecting the relationship I have with my Heavenly Father? Can I take God at His Word? Can I stand on his promises? Will he lie to me?
I am reminded of this scripture.... Numbers 23:19 God is not a man that He should lie nor the son of man that He should repent. Has He said and will He not do it? Or has He spoken and will not make good of it.
Torn 2 Reborn Revelation:
Perhaps you are just like I was, you have grown up without a father in your home and it has left you with emptiness. You have searched so many places for love and something steady that you can put your trust in and have yet to find it. Let me introduce Jesus to you today. The Word of God in Romans 10:9 tells us all you have to do is believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus died on the cross and after 3 days resurrected and now lives in heaven with the Father and you are saved. Invite Him into your heart. He wants to be your Father. He wants to fill the emptiness. He wants to heal the hurt. He wants you to trust Him and I have found out for myself that He is trust-worthy. 
Perhaps you have found yourself at a place where you can't quite trust God with every area of your life and maybe you don't know where this lack of trust came from. Maybe it is stemming from an absent parent or failed relationships but God is a God of restoration and healing. He is patient and He can teach you how to trust Him. He's teaching me even now.
Let us pray:
Father, thank you so much for healing the hurt and lifting the burdens. You said in your Word that when our fathers and mothers forsake us, you would take us up and you have done just that. I pray now for every reader that comes across this blog that you would heal them from the inside out. I pray that you will minister to the brokenness and the voids. Show us how to trust you. Show us how interested you truly are in us. Show us the concern you have for your children. We love you and we believe that You love us more. In Jesus name, Amen
God Bless You.

15 comments:

  1. I must say after knowing you for 13 years, I am one person that knows the many tests and trials you have faced/encountered and I am blessed to know God has kept you! Continue to share, love and inspire God's people.

    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what your doing. Encouraging someone ....keep up the good work ....be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep doing what you are doing encouraging some one who really needs to hear what God is saying Thru you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letrice, Thank you for sharing your story and testimony. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is your son Noah nice blog mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your testimony. It's so awesome to know and see that God is able. I believe your story touches the lives of many women, young and old. For me, it really hit home when you said, "...it seems as those around me are excelling in every area of their lives," I too have felt like this and still have my "moments" where I'm like, "God, are you still there?" Out of it all, though, He still gets the glory. I'm SO GRATEFUL you allowed the Holy Spirit to use you to minister to the lives of His people. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your truth. I am happy to finally see you have started your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a blessing to just to read this. I'm happy you have a blog started, I know you can do a world of good with this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a blessing just to read this. I'm happy you've started blogging, I know you can do a world of good with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Letrice this is very transparent. I know that others can relate to you in your transparency. I pray healing of every hurt from the past. I also come into agreement with the Father that as you pour out to others, that God would begin to pour his love in every area that has been bruised. God is a healer. Our testimonies are needed!! Go forth sis!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey sis I commend you on releasing your heart to us all. I felt the same way growing up without our father in my life. And on my 19th bday when I finally got to see him face to face I thought it all would change that now I would have the father that I've been wanting all my life. That now all the hurt and pain would just disappear but then once again when he was gone he was gone. The promising phone calls kept coming back until I decided that I'm no longer going to answer anymore. I thought after all this time that I would be over it but it all still hurts. I felt that I wasn't good enough to be his child. That I was too fair skinned because he stuck around with his darker children. That I must have been a bad seed because for years I've always refered to myself as a mutt being so mixed up and confused. And as far as prayer went I prayed every night for my father to come and resue me thinking that he was possibly some sort of magical man that could heal me instantly from the different abuses that I've experinced from the hands of some of my mother's boyfriends but physically and sexually. I prayed that one day before the next time one of them put their disgusting hands on me that my FATHER would walk through that door and save me. But he never came.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis,
      I understand your pain because I share the same sufferings. In order for the healing process to begin, you must forgive him. He is missing out on more than you think you did. You don't want to harbor any bitterness, anger, hatred etc towards him because it will only eat away at you. I have found God to be more reliable than any man could ever be. He is our present help and He is our refuge. He is able and He can heal all the heart. It is a process but

      Delete
    2. God has been doing this for a while so I'm sure He can handle it. give it to Him

      Delete
  12. You really said a lot and you opened yourself totally. Thank you for that. First, your earthly dad is someone I feel sorry for. I really don't believe he hated you but hated himself. He could not love himself, did not even know what love was so he could not show you real love. I pray for him because you do reap what you sow and because he cheated himself out of knowing one of the most beautiful and loving young women I have ever met. And, you are talented. I bless God for chosing you to be His child and for giving you an awesome testimony. What doesn't kill you Will make you stronger, and I can testify to that!!! I pray that God will give you the strength to just STAND. Continue to praise Him no matter what it looks like. He has already moved on your behalf. Don't you move...just wait on the Lord. Be blessed and get back to your ministry. It blesses more people than you know.

    Love always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very open and honest. Transparent. Love it...

    ReplyDelete